Class 4 2020 - 2021
Years: 5 and 6 Teacher: Miss Smalls Teaching Assistant: Mrs Pountney
Welcome to Class 4
Hello and welcome back!
I hope you all had a lovely summer break and the current circumstances didn’t spoil your plans. It is so great to have a full class again and to see so many happy and smiley faces. I am really looking forward to the year ahead and it is lovely to have my former class 2 group back again.
Topics and units.
In maths, we will be starting with place value. We will be covering the following areas:
- Read and write numbers up to 10 000 000
- Order and compare numbers up to 10 000 000
- Determine the value of each digit in numbers up to 10,000,000
- round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy
- use negative numbers in context, and calculate intervals across zero
- solve number and practical problems that involve all of the above.
- read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman numerals.
For our first history unit, we are looking at crime and punishment. The children have already thoroughly enjoyed our classroom crime scene investigation, which we completed the first week back. They found lots of clues and collected evidence to crack the case! We will continue to explore crime and punishment by looking at how it has changed throughout the years.
In RE, we will be looking at how the teaching of the church influences the life of believers to make an impact in today’s world.
During our French lessons, we will be looking at family life and all the relevant vocabulary and phrases associated with it.
For this half term, our PE lessons will be focused around hockey and tag rugby.
Our first unit in science will be light. We will be exploring the way that light behaves, looking at different lights sources, understanding how light travels and experimenting with shadows and reflection.