Class 3 2021 - 2022
Class 3 have been learning about the three different types of rock. We researched igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks and then shared our understanding in a 'class museum'. We hope you enjoy learning about rocks from our displays.
Maths Support for Autumn 2
See the attached link below for some really helpful videos from White Rose Maths which will explain the teaching methods used in school for place value, subtraction, multiplication and division. These parents guides are really useful for understanding how to help your children with their maths homework.
What have we been enjoying in Autumn 1?
- Making 3D sculptures of dinosaurs using wire and tissue paper.
- Taking part in our own archeological dig in the school grounds.
- Writing 'Who am I' pop up booklets.
- Exploring the class set of new Chrome books in all curriculum areas
- Reading 'Boy Giant' and 'Dancing Bear' by Micheal Morpurgo.
- Building replica models of Sone Henge using edible building materials!
- Decorating and planting wellies for Class 3's hanging garden behind the mobiles.
- Finding out about the Windrush as part of Black History Month.
- Presenting our own programmes about rocks and soils called 'Rock Stars!'
- A fieldwork visit to Old St Chads to investigate the use of rock in our local environment.
- Playing games to secure our place value knowledge.
- Spending time relaxing with our favourite books or in the 'Wellbeing Area' watching the fishy lamp.
- Learning how to use inverted commas through 'Kung Fu Punctuation' or writing on the tables!
- Competing in competitions at Bishop Heber High School. Tag rugby and cross country tournaments have taken place this half term.
We are currently learning the 4 and 8 times tables. Class 3 love singing along with Percy Parker and playing games.
Year 4 children will complete a multiplication check later on in the school year. The Oxford Owl webpage below explains the check in detail and provides lots of hints and tips to help children develop raid recall with multiplication and division facts.
The activity below exactly mirrors the check.
Class 3 Autumn Term Newsletter
Welcome to Class 3!
We would like to say a very warm welcome to the Year 3 children joining us this year and to welcome
back everyone in Year 4. It has been an exciting start to the school year already with a whole class art
project, dinosaur sculptures and the chance to be detectives and archeologists all in the same week!
The Class 3 Teaching Team
This year Mrs Hunt will be teaching the class on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Mrs
Latham will be teaching in Class 3 all day Friday and on a Wednesday afternoon. Miss Barnett will be
supporting the class every day.
Uniform and daily essentials
Please ensure your child's uniform, including the sweatshirts or hoodies they wear on PE days, are
labelled to ensure everything goes home in the evening with the correct person. Our P.E. days this year
are a Monday and Wednesday. P.E will be outside this term so please make sure children have tracksuit
bottoms and a warm top for the colder weather after half term. Please be mindful that sessions will
take place on the field so clothing will get muddy.
Cluster Group Sports
We are excited to announce that the popular cluster group sports challenges are returning in the
Autumn Term. Cross country and Tag Rugby competitions will take place in the coming weeks. Further
information to follow.
This year all homework tasks will be set on Google Classroom. Weekly tasks will include:
Two Mathletics activities
A multiplication table to learn
A spelling or vocabulary challenge
Work on Reading Eggs or Reading Eggspress
Logins for Google Classroom, Mathletics and Reading Eggs/Reading Eggspress can be found in the front
of the Reading Record books.
Reading books can be selected from the class library or children can choose their own book from
home. Please ensure children record their reading in their Reading Record books and bring these to
school every day.
To develop active engagement and enthusiasm for vocabulary and spelling, key stage two children will
now be asked to carry out activities, which will support their spelling in different ways. The weekly
activities will help the children to understand words and use them in the correct context. This work will
be set via Google Classroom and will replace weekly spelling tests.
Ideas for supporting your child's learning at home, recommended texts and learning resources will be
added to Google Classroom regularly along with pictures of Class 3's learning journey this year.
Thank you for your support and a huge congratulations to everyone in Class 3 for making such a
fantastic start to the new school year. We are so proud of you all!